What is Medicare Supplement Insurance?
A Medicare supplement (Medigap) insurance, sold by private companies, can help pay some of the health care costs that Medicare doesn’t cover, like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.
If you have Original Medicare and you buy a Medigap policy, Medicare will pay its share of the Medicare-approved amount for covered health care costs. Your Medigap policy pays its share.
What you need to know about Medigap policies
1. You must have Medicare Part A and Part B.
2. If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, you can apply for a Medigap policy, but make sure you can leave the Medicare Advantage Plan before your Medigap policy begins.
3. You pay the private insurance company a monthly premium for your Medigap policy in addition to the monthly Part B premium that you pay to Medicare.
4. You can buy a Medigap policy from any insurance company that’s licensed in your state to sell one.
5. Any standardized Medigap policy is guaranteed renewable even if you have health problems. This means the insurance company can’t cancel your Medigap policy as long as you pay the premium.
6. Medigap policies sold after January 1, 2006 aren’t allowed to include prescription drug coverage. If you want prescription drug coverage, you can join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D).
7. It’s illegal for anyone to sell you a Medigap policy if you have a Medicare Medical Savings Account (MSA) Plan.
For more information, go to Medicare.gov
Request a Callback
We will be happy to answer your questions.
Get A Free Quote
Take advantage of our free advice and learn more about your options.
Getting Started is as Easy as 1, 2, 3
Call or Book Online
For your no-obligation appointment.
We’ll find the best coverage for you.
Select Your Plan
Our advice and counsel is free to you.
“What a joy to work with Tina. She volunteers to help people sign up for Oregon’s Health Plan. She was so gracious and helpful, and made what could have been a stressful process so easy. We are so grateful for her support and would highly recommend her to others.”
“Ms. VanPhung is very welcoming, knowledgeable, and supportive in finding the best-suited insurance coverage for your needs! She takes the time to answer all of your questions and address any concerns you may have. Highly recommended!”
“We wouldn’t have health insurance right now if it wasn’t for Tina’s help. She was prompt, professional, knowledgeable and helped us stay coordinated with our needed activities. Thanks so much Tina!”
Request A Free Quote
Our health insurance quotes are always free of charge. To get started, simply click the button and tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll be in touch at your convenience.